Ames in Seattle

Friday, August 11, 2006

I spell it O-L-D.

Ventured out and went to my first live show in Seattle. Saw World Party, a band I learned to love in my college days. They played at a really cool, small venue called Neumo's. Despite the giant clown on their website (deep breath) and the other giant scary clown above the door of the place (another deep breath), it was fantastic. The band was amazing and Carl Wallinger sounded as good as he did with the Waterboys. Hooray!

Played all their great stuff, including one of my all-time favorite songs ever (no, really), "Sweet Soul Dream." The lyrics get me every time:

I got rare '61 Beatles/I got a film of my dreams
But I'd burn lose them all/burn them all
Go along without all of it/give up the chances I see
If you'd/take me up/raise me up/let me know the heart of it
Give me your sweet soul dream/Give me your sweet soul dream.

Didn't feel at all weird or uncomfortable. I was among other fellow nerds who, probably a lot grayer and fatter than when the album came out, still know all the words to all their songs. I hope it's the first among many great live shows. Really, is there anything better?

I like Seattle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home