Ames in Seattle

Monday, November 20, 2006

A Lot To Be Thankful For

I know, I know. Everyone's doing these lists, but, seeing as this is the first Thanksgiving where I won't get to personally sit at my parents' table and say out loud what I'm thankful for, why not bore all of you with it? While this one goes on a bit longer than I would at their house (to which my family is rolling their eyes saying, "not by much") at least you can read it in courses, like a fine turkey day dinner.

The Minnesota Twins
My first end of baseball season in unfamiliar territory was oh so much more bearable because of the way my boys pulled through and played their scrappy little hearts out. Sure, they got swept by Oakland. Sure, Liriano scared the crap out of all of us and we need to pick up a big-hitting DH over the winter. Sure, Michael Cuddyer refused to acknowledge his true feelings for me and got MARRIED to some GIRL earlier this month. Pssshhh.

All that matters was they were (as someone I once new was fond of saying), officially fun to watch and 2007 is looking mighty rosy.



























Bat Girl
If you don't know about this blog yet, you're in for a treat. She's a huge Twins fan, has nicknames for all the players, a great knowledge and commentary on the game. Plus, she's a kick ass writer and does instant replay of the games in LEGOVISION. It's genius. Really. It really is. http://bat-girl.com/



Instant Messaging
Admittedly, there are a lot of technological advances that I never really felt I needed, let alone wanted until I made the big move out west. I was getting pretty good at text messaging, thanks to pals like Oona and Brad. Don't know what I'd do without Be-rad's (and his little bro Pauly's) updates on Twins games when I was otherwise occupied. My niece Kelly is lightning-quick, like everything she does, on her phone key pad. But IMing? Ohhhh no. You can see when your friend is online and know that even if they have 30 times the attention span that I do (which still isn't saying much) the little icon will bug them until they respond to you. Glorious. It's like your very own goon squad of communication! It's helped me keep in touch with pals from home, especially Jane and Kelly, as well as new pals that I'm happy to say I've made since I've been here.


Coffee made by people who know what they're doing
Look, no offense to my Protestant pals, but in Seattle, there's none of that northern-Minnesota-Lutheran-church-basement-tea crap that they try to pass off as coffee. No sir. There are plenty of places where it's thick and dark and spec-tac-ular.



(If you can't read it, the line at the bottom of the cup says, "Home of the Velvet Foam.")

Kicking some Republican ass
It was a glorious, glorious election. And I'm happy to say, the good guys finally won. Now, let's just hope all the crap that's gotten thoroughly screwed up since 2000 can right itself.

Sun Country Airlines
Laugh if you will, but this little airline that could has made it ultra-easy for me to come home. And hey, they're one of the last airlines that will serve you food. Granted, it's reminiscent of those soy burgers we used to get for lunch in elementary school or a steamed "grilled" cheese, but it's the thought that counts. And, you too can fly out here for dirt cheap. So, at the risk of being redundant, book 'em, Danno.




Rain
Cuz it ain't snow.



My new nephew Liam

As if you needed more proof, but is this the cutest kid ever?



My new niece Ruby

She's not only a beauty in her own right, but is also my god daughter. And just like Kevin and Molly with Liam, it's been so fun to see Lily adapt to her new role as big sister. Their Mommas both did a great job themselves, so things should work out well. (Yeah, it's a repeat image, but come on!)



My big, fat Irish family*
I love them to pieces and miss them every single day for one reason or another. I love talking to my sister Anne while I'm on my way to work, getting updates on the babies and all the funny things that happen in our oddly similar lives, all but for the cute, bald husband I've yet to find. My brother Jeff for his sweet wife Jeni and their kids and his even sweeter heart when it comes to helping me with every little lame errand and stuff you really need a big brother for. My sister Lisa and her amazing husband-o, Ted and the three kids who make me smile and cry and laugh with such pride it's sometimes indescribable. My sister Kate and her funny and sweet Irish husband for their constant stream of cute kids, cute photos and unbelievably hilarious stories about the latest things their three have done or said. My big brother Bill for his naughty jokes and calling at just the right time to say hello. And my brother Matt and his beautiful inside and out wife Laura and their busy, loud, and never-ending fun household.

But most of all, I'm thankful for my brilliant and wise parents whose love and support make me thank god every day I was born into the world with them to shape and mold me. You're my rocks and I never would've even dreamed of living this chapter of my life out here and starting a new adventure if I didn't have people raise me to never be okay with being bored. Or if I was never taught how important it is to find things out for yourself. I love their poignant e-mails filled with articles, political food for thought or sometimes nothing at all. It's an amazing thing to know you're loved.


My great, big, beautiful network of friends
I love each and every one of you like crazy, even if you're not listed above.


*(Size reference solely based on the depths of their hearts, just so we're clear.)



THANK YOU!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home